About

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Chill-Out Friday : Happy Hour @ Tanuki

When I was told a new Japanese bar in town offered one-dollar oysters, my first response was "What is the catch there..?" (pun unintentionally intended).  I am a practical glutton, anything that sounds too good to be true probably is.

So I sent my source of information to confirm .. well, the source.  The feedback came swiftly, it was a real deal - "Go to Tanuki, Orchard Central, Level 2".   The rules to enjoy the deal were simple - Oysters (from Hiroshima) are at a dollar with every order of a cocktail during their daily Happy Hour from 5 - 8pm, limited to a dozen per cocktail order.  No reservations during Happy Hour.

The date was set for a chill-out Friday with a long time pal.  

A last minute meeting cut short my supposed 2-hour happiness, but I made it in time to Orchard at 7pm, leaving us only an hour for the order.

What greeted us at the entrance of Tanuki was a large standalone bar counter in an open, airy, industrial-minimalist-chic space.  Very chi-chi with a slightly laid back New Yorkish feel.   There was alfresco seating.  We LIKE.

And the LIKE took a tumble in the first 3 minutes we stood at the door.  The rest is newbie history, the staff's service were as RAW as the food that was served.

Read my complete review of our experience here :
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/tanuki-orchard-central-orchard-road/review/id-ec1b0200/



While I am not crazy over the service, I decided to still give my visit 3-star thumbs-up simply because the combination of fresh oysters and reasonably-priced heady cocktails is a winning combo.  I've mentioned I'll not be rushing to recommend Tanuki* to anyone just yet ..  but I do believe in second chances.  Till then.

Happy Mid-week, two more days to the weekend!!

*I read afterwards that Tanuki is owned by Howard L of Standing Sushi Bar, which I visited once, thought it mediocre and decided it wasn't worth a second visit.  There are really better sushi places in town.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, thanks for coming to Tanuki Raw and taking the time to provide feedback!

    Sorry about your experience at the door; I know it's definitely not a nice feeling to just stand there and feel ignored.

    Unfortunately we are very short-staffed at the moment and have been desperately trying to hire. On Friday there were 2 new staff members who were on their first day of work, so definitely they will receive more training.

    Due to the limited staff we decided not to station someone at the door so they could help with the food / drink orders, so unfortunately that meant that we weren't as attentive at the entrance.

    Apologies also for the communication with our general manager; I think it was likely him you spoke to at the door. I'm sure he didn't mean to come off as snobby; I think he was likely just rushed as he's supposed to coordinate what's happening inside the restaurant (but certainly I will talk to him about making sure we are making people feel welcome).

    Thanks again for coming in! I was trying to post this on HGW's management response form but alas I have blown through their 500 character limit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Howard,

      Thanks for your reply! I apologise for not acknowledging your reply earlier as I was away.

      I really appreciate you coming forth with your response, given you could have easily disregarded both reviews, here and at HGW, and not comment.

      Whilst finding staff and training them to be customer-oriented seem to be the bane of most F&B outlets in SG, it is nonetheless the backbone of any F&B business here and undeniable goes hand in hand with the food selection & quality which makes the whole dining experience complete.

      It isn't easy, especially for a new establishment, so it is integral during soft launch period to fine-tune food quality and service levels.

      I'll definitely give it a second chance, even if it is solely for the yummy happy hour oysters, and hope to see better service standards this time round.

      Good luck to your new place and hope you'll do a roaring business!!


      Delete